The first thing you should do to reduce high
cholesterol is eat a healthy diet and exercise.
Essential to help combat high cholesterol. Eat more
vegetables and fruit and less meat and fatty foods. Find
a way to be physically active each day, if only for a
brisk walk, bike ride or 15-30 minute light workout.
As far as food items, the following may help:
* Sure gel apple or grapefruit pectin (jam & jelly
stiffener). Take one heaping teaspoon in a cup of hot
water nightly before bed. Two acids in the Sure gel help
dissolve cholesterol deposits in the blood vessels. In
about a month or less, the bad cholesterol should be
much lower, and as a side affect, any heavy metals
(generally, industrial toxins) should be flushed from
your system. Sure gel Grapefruit pectin is 100 times
stronger, but tastes awful and oxidizes and interferes
with many medications.
* Vinegar, apple juice and white grape juice. Mix 1 to 2
cup of apple cider vinegar, four cups of apple juice and
three cups of white grape juice. Drink six ounces every
day before breakfast. Used very effectively by
Pennsylvania Amish families.
* Garlic. Is cholesterol’s natural enemy. Eat three
cloves daily to lower blood pressure, build immune
system and guard against cancer.
* Pomegranate juice. New studies indicate that
pomegranate juice not only appears to prevent hardening
of the arteries by reducing blood vessel damage, but the
antioxidant-rich juice may also reverse the progression
of this disease.
* Green Tea. Drink one or more glasses a day. Powerful
antioxidant and anti-cancer properties too.
* Turmeric. Found in curry seasoning and plain yellow
mustard. Lowers cholesterol, helps guard against
Alzheimer’s and may help protect smokers from cancer.
* Walnuts. Eat a half cup of walnuts every day. Almonds
are also good.
* Oatmeal. Eat a bowl of oatmeal every day for
breakfast. Top with walnuts or almond bits and
* Cinnamon, water and honey. Take 10 pieces of cinnamon
sticks (one inch each). Powder and then boil in five
teacups of water. Add a teaspoon of honey and have a hot
cup of this mixture every day. From India.
* Onion juice reduces cholesterol and works as a tonic
for nervous system. It cleans blood, helps digestive
system, cures insomnia and regulates the heart action &
helps in lowering cholesterol.
* Sunflower seeds contain a substantial amount of
linoleic acid which is helpful in reducing cholesterol
deposits on the walls of the arteries. Substituting oil
of sunflower seeds for some of the solid fats like
butter & cream will, therefore lead to a great
improvement in health & lower cholesterol.
* Omega 3 oils such as fish, borage and flax oil. Lower
bad cholesterol and raise the good cholesterol levels.
* Other good foods to help lower cholesterol: Flaxseeds,
soy (due to concerns about unfermented soy products
increasing the risk for certain cancers, use only
fermented soy products such as miso and tempeh),
lentils, beans, salmon, avocado, spinach and other dark
green leafy vegetables, margarine with no trans-fats or
hydrogenated ingredients, other nuts, dark chocolate,
whole wheat and other grains.