Click above to Bookmark this page for yourself and/or share it with your friends
Click on the links below for "The Best" in:
The Best Years in Life Recommends:
Concentrated Omega 3, 6 & 9, Many Times More Powerful than Fish Oil
The Best Years in Life
Indian Rice and Vegetable Casserole
Spiced rice dishes with
vegetables, called Biryani, are popular
casseroles in India. This recipe calls
for brown basmati rice and rich layers
of summer and fall vegetables that add
extra fiber and protein. Hearty chunks
of eggplant, zucchini, edamame and
raisins are flavored with Indian
favorites like turmeric, which is one of
many spices being studied for its
Note: Due to GMO content
and other considerations, we do NOT
consider canola oil to be a healthy
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat 9 x 9-in. square pan or 2-quart round baking dish with olive or other healthy oil and set aside.
3. Spread almonds and cashews on separate baking sheets. Bake almonds for 5 minutes, remove from oven and spread on plate to cool. Bake cashews until golden, about 8 minutes. Add to plate with almonds, and set aside.
4. Heat remaining oil and butter in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until soft, 4 minutes. Mix in coriander, cumin, cinnamon, ginger and cayenne, if using. Cook, stirring until onion pieces are coated and spices fragrant, about 1 minute. Add eggplant, squash and peppers, and cook, stirring, until vegetables look moist, 2 to 3 minutes. Add edamame or beans, tomato purée and sugar, cover and simmer until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes.
5. Spread half of cooked rice in a layer in baking pan. Cover rice with cooked vegetables. Mix nuts and raisins into remaining rice. Cover vegetables with rice mixture. Cover casserole with lid.
6. Bake casserole for 20 minutes, until heated through. Let stand 15 minutes and serve hot. Casserole also may be served lukewarm or at room temperature.
Makes 6 servings as main course (9 servings as a side dish).
Per serving(6 servings): 333 calories, 10 g fat (2 g sat fat), 56 g carbohydrates, 9 g protein, 6g fiber, 24 mg sodium.
To return to our list of Healthy Recipes, click HERE.
Your website hosts Tony Isaacs and Luella Isaacs
Misty, My Buddy, Little Rascal & Lady the "found dogs" - Official Mascots of The Best Years in Life
For the best in health information, subscribe to The Best Years in Life Newsletter featuring articles by Tony M. Isaacs
The plant you need to make your own home remedy for cancer, HIV-AIDS, hepatitis-C & more may be growing in your back yard! Read all about this proven remedy plus much more on how to naturally beat illness and live a long and healthy life.