Click above to Bookmark this page for yourself and/or share it with your friends
Click on the links below for "The Best" in:
The Best Years in Life Recommends:
Concentrated Omega 3, 6 & 9, Many Times More Powerful than Fish Oil
The Best Years in Life
Roasted Garlic Steak Sandwiches
As new research continues to support the link between non-organic red meat and cancer risk, more people are reducing the amount they eat. The American Institute for Cancer Research recommends consuming no more than 18 ounces of red meat per week. This simple recipe features a modern take on the old favorite steak sandwich. Using lean cuts like London broil can also help reduce your fat intake and help you manage your weight. And adding red onions, spinach and garlic enhances the flavor of the meat in a healthy way.
*Make your own soy-free soy sauce substitute with one of the recipes here:
(As always, choose organic content as much as possible for the healthiest recipe.)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place garlic in center of a square of foil. Rub garlic with 1/4 teaspoon oil, and then seal it in the foil. Bake until garlic is soft, 50-60 minutes. Set aside, or refrigerate up to 2 days before using.
2. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, juice, soy sauce and pepper. Squeeze out roasted garlic from 6 cloves. Using back of spoon, mash garlic until combined with the other ingredients. Whisk in remaining oil. Pour half this marinade into a resealable plastic bag. Add steak to bag. Seal bag and massage to coat meat with marinade. Set bag on a plate and marinate meat in refrigerator for 6 to 24 hours. Cover remaining marinade and refrigerate.
3. When ready to serve, preheat broiler. Remove meat from marinade. Discard marinade and pat meat dry with a paper towel. For meat approximately1-inch thick, broil 3 minutes per side; if thicker, broil 4 minutes per side. Set meat on cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut meat across the grain into thin slices. Add any meat juices from the cutting board to the refrigerated marinade and set aside.
4. Meanwhile, heat cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat until sizzling hot. Arrange onion in the pan in one layer and cook 2 minutes, or until lightly colored. Using tongs, turn and cook another 2 minutes. Transfer onions to a plate. Toast the split buns in the hot pan, set aside.
5. To assemble, set a grilled onion slice on each bun. Top with one-fourth of the sliced steak followed by the spinach and mesclun greens. Spoon refrigerated marinade over the greens. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 320 calories, 13 g total fat (3 g saturated fat)
To return to our list of Healthy Recipes, click HERE.
Your website hosts Tony Isaacs and Luella May
Misty, My Buddy, Little Rascal & Lady the "found dogs" - Official Mascots of The Best Years in Life
For the best in health information, subscribe to The Best Years in Life Newsletter featuring articles by Tony M. Isaacs
The plant you need to make your own home remedy for cancer, HIV-AIDS, hepatitis-C & more may be growing in your back yard! Read all about this proven remedy plus much more on how to naturally beat illness and live a long and healthy life.