Home and Herbal Remedies
Collected from around the world and through the ages
Home Article Directory Healthy Recipes Natural Remedies Beating/Avoiding Cancer Natural Living Anti-Aging/Longevity Pets/Animals Diets/Weight Loss Humor Inspiration The TBYIL Complete Supplement & Health Catalog Contact Us
How to Safely and Painlessly Get
Rid of Pesky Splinters
by Tony Isaacs
(The Best Years in Life) Few of us have avoided the pain and aggravation of getting a splinter. Whether the splinter is a sliver of wood, metal or glass it can be difficult to remove and sometimes painful as well. If the splinter is not removed and removed cleanly, infection can result and sometimes the infection can become a serious one. The next time you get a splinter, try these tips to get it out as painlessly and safely as possible:
* Hydrogen Peroxide. Cover the area where the splinter is with hydrogen peroxide. Often the splinter will come out within minutes.
* Take a whole egg and crack it (emptying the contents) so that only the shell remains. Place the inside (wet side) of the shell onto the splinter for a few minutes and the splinter should work its way far enough out till you can pick it right out.
* Place a piece of duct tape over the splinter and leave on for a half hour. Then slowly peel away. The splinter should come off with the tape.
* Apply some white glue such as is used in grade school on top of the splinter and surrounding skin area and let it dry. When you peel it off, the splinter should come out.
* Put a piece of bread over the splinter and wrap a band-aid around it, the let it set overnight and the splinter may be drawn out and attached to the band-aid by morning. Another version of this remedy is to put a bit of milk on the bread.
* Before going to bed at night, place a very small piece of bacon fat on top of the splinter and cover with a bandaid. In the morning the splinter will usually have risen to the top where it can easily be removed.
* Make a paste with powdered laundry soap and water and rub where the splinter is (be careful not to rub too hard and drive the splinter in further) and then wait a few minutes. Often this will draw the splinter to the surface.
* For thorns, use a piece of pantyhose to snag and pull them out. Works great for small thorns like those of cactus [needles].
* Onion or tomato. Apply a slice of fresh onion or tomato to draw the splinter to the surface of the skin.
* Honey is also effective to help the splinter be drawn to the surface. Apply honey to the area where the splinter is and see if it helps draw the splinter to the surface.
* When none of the above tips work to completely remove the splinter, you may need to resort to ice and tweezers. Apply ice to the area to numb the nerves and use a sterilized (by flame and/or rubbing alcohol) tweezers.
Once the splinter has been removed, be sure to disinfect the area with hydrogen peroxide and then apply something with good antiseptic properties to prevent infection. A combination of colloidal silver and aloe works very well, as does tea tree oil. You can also cover the area with raw organic honey, which has superior antiseptic and healing properties. The best of all honeys is Manuka honey, which is a good thing to keep around the house for scrapes and wounds. It is widely available in many different brands online.
Natural Remedies for Safe,
Effective Treatment of Skin Rashes
About the author
Tony Isaacs is a member of the National Health Federation and the American Botanical Council. He is a natural health advocate and researcher and the author of books and articles about natural health including "Cancer's Natural Enemy." Mr. Isaacs articles are featured at The Truth About Cancer, the Health Science Institute's Healthiertalk website, CureZone, the Crusador, Health Secrets, the Cancer Tutor, the Silver Bulletin, the New Zealand Journal of Natural Health, and several other venues. In addition, he hosts the Yahoo Oleandersoup Health group of over 3500 members and the CureZone Ask Tony Isaacs - Featuring Luella May forum. He is also the local moderator of the CureZone Cancer Alternatives forum. Tony and his partner Luella May host The Best Years in Life natural health website where their motto is "It's never too late or too early to begin living longer, healthier and happier lives."
See more natural health articles Here.