Home Article Directory Healthy Recipes TBYIL Radio Remedies Beating/Avoiding Cancer Natural Living Anti-Aging/Longevity Pets/Animals Diets/Weight Loss Humor Inspiration The TBYIL Complete Supplement & Health Catalog Contact Us
A TBYIL Guest Article
The Importance of Moisture in Our Pet’s Diet!
by Holistic Veterinarian Tom Cameron, DVM
(The Best Years in Life) Dry dog and cat foods (kibble) are popular and convenient ways to feed our pets. Dry dog foods were first created way back in 1860 to feed hunting dogs owned by the British lords. In the past 100 years, the pet food industry has seen explosive growth, selling $21.4 billion of pet food in the U.S (2014). A trip to any Big Box pet food store reveals a dizzying selection of kibble.
Kibble pet foods are made by mixing meat, vegetables, grains, fruits, vitamins, minerals and other ingredients into a porridge-like mixture (called a slurry). This slurry is forced through small tubes under high heat and pressure, then dried and shaped, forming the food bits we refer to as kibble. This process is called “extrusion.”
The majority of pet owners in the US feed kibble, both for convenience and affordability. Many pet owners feed ONLY dry food. But is dry food the best food for our pets? There is a growing concern that kibble might not be the best choice to feed our pets.
Here are a few things to consider:
• Real food, fresh food is 70-80% water. Kibble has between 6-10% moisture. Kibble is a dehydrated food, and there is a big difference. Beef jerky is 10-15% moisture. What if you ate beef jerky for every meal?
• Kibble requires the body to give up a considerable amount of water to soften the dry food before the digestive process can begin. Fresh food is “ready to go” directly into the digestive process
• Dry nuggets of food can cause irritation and inflammation of the stomach lining before this softening occurs. This happens every time a kibble meal is eaten. A small amount of irritation can become more serious when it occurs over a long period of time.
• A kibble meal forces a shift in the distribution of water in the body, pulling fluids from other areas to help the digestive process. This “robbing Peter to pay Paul” approach can cause a mild dehydration in other parts of the body. Just like driving a car when it is low on oil, this mild dehydration is a stress that can cause serious health problems down the road. There is a growing concern that long term feeding of kibble may be contributing to the rise in kidney disease, especially in cats.
• Cats - cats evolved in mostly desert climates, and have always gotten most of their water from their food (remember that fresh food is 70-80% water). Also, cats do not drink water as readily as dogs, so feeding only dry food to cats can contribute to dehydration.
To see the latest items on sale at Utopia Silver. click on the above link, or click HERE
In my practice, I recommend:
• Feeding canned or fresh food to cats.
• If your cat or dog gets dry food, feed a combination of canned, fresh and dry food.
• If feeding dry food, moisten dry food with water or broth before feeding. This is for the following reasons:
• Note: do not leave moistened food out for long periods of time.
To encourage your pet to eat meals, leave moistened food out for 15-20 minutes, then pick it up. This may take some time, but your pet will learn to eat when the food is fresh and available.
Some notes about Nature's Logic Pet Foods
Nature’s Logic adds a probiotic mixture to their kibble and All Food Fortifier. Moistening Nature’s Logic kibble will activate these probiotics - the beneficial bacteria normally present in your pet’s digestive system. Probiotics have been shown support digestion, improve the immune process, help maintain urinary health and even play a role in weight loss.
Nature’s Logic offers the highest quality pet foods in fresh frozen, canned, kibble and treat forms. Nature’s Logic foods are unique in that they meet all of your pet’s nutritional requirements using only ingredients from whole foods - no synthetic ingredients. Nature’s Logic makes it easy to offer your pet variety and a healthy diet.
This article/blog originally appeared at NaturesLogic.com
Give Your Dog Optimal Nutrition and Save Money Too by Making Your Own Healthy Dog Food (Contains the Bonus Feature "Make Your Own Healthy Dog Treats")
About the author:
Dr. Tom Cameron received his DVM from Michigan State University in 1982. He began practice in Waunakee, WI, concentrating on both dairy and small animal medicine. In 1994, he assumed ownership of the DeForest Veterinary Clinic, in DeForest, WI, an exclusively small animal practice, offering a combination of traditional and holistic treatment modalities.
See more natural health articles Here.
Be sure to visit our sponsors:
Your website hosts Tony and Luella May Isaacs
to us on The Best Years in Life
Radio Show every Wednesday from
6 to 8 PM CST!
Misty*, My Buddy, Little Rascal & Lady the "found dogs" - Official Mascots of The Best Years in Life
*Rest in peace sweet girl - almost 17 years of wonderful memories
For the best in health information, subscribe toThe Best Years in Life Newsletter featuring articles by Tony M. Isaacs
If you would like to donate to help us keep this web site active and growing, click on the button above. Much thanks! - Tony & Luella
Nature's Logic Pet Food
Click on the image above for the latest coupons from Nature's Logic
100% Organic MicroComplexed™ IntraCELL™ Level IV Technology ~ 415 Nutrients All-In-One, Perfect Whole Foods & Phyto Nutrition ~ Super Energizing ~ All Natural Defense. The Most Scientifically Advanced, Clinically Proven, Health Promoting Organic Nutritional Supplement Available Today!
Look years younger and heal and eliminate all kinds of skin problems. Nerium OPC Skin Therapy Creme is simply amazing for all kinds of skin problems! An “anti-aging” and “skin rejuvenating” skin therapy crème for wrinkles, age/liver spots on the face, neck, and hands, as well as dry crusty patches of epidermal cells in a state of disordered morphology, dysplasia, benign neoplasia, or in situ neoplasm.
MORE POWERFUL & IMPROVED! All-Natural soothing Silver Aloe Gel 2 oz or 4 oz made with Colloidal Silver and 15X Organic Aloe Vera Concentrate with Texas Juniper Essential Oil. This new and advanced product provides the germ killing power of Colloidal Silver, the healing properties of Organic Aloe Vera, the antibacterial properties of Texas Juniper Oil and Orange Oil.
The Krill Miracle™
Contains about 20 ppm of .9999 pure silver in de-ionized water. Silver inhibits the growth of one-celled organisms, (such as bacteria and viruses) by deactivating the organism's oxygen metabolism enzymes. In turn, this destroys its' cell membranes, stopping the replication of its' DNA
The Best Years in Life
P O Box 121 Cooper TX 75432 Phone: 903-886-2436 Fax: 801-926-4273 Email: Dquixote1217[at]gmail.com- (replace [at] with @)
Disclaimer: The information on this page and on this website has not been evaluated by the FDA. We do not diagnose, treat, cure or prevent illness or disease - instead, we try to help people learn how to do so themselves. Anyone who believes they have a serious medical condition or health issue should seek diagnoses from a qualified medical professional before making any decisions on how to best address their health. We do not sell or advocate drugs, nor do we make any claims that anything advocated or sold on this website is a drug. Furthermore, anyone contemplating using any products or information on this website must accept such use as experimental and voluntary. No claims are made regarding the therapeutic use of the products or information on this website and all products featured or sold on this website must be considered nutritional supplements only.